Following my own advice, and the encouragement of Pil Kollectiv, I began work in the casting room today! I wasn’t feeling very productive at all this morning, I knew I needed to start casting but I didn’t have a clear purpose as to why and what I wanted to make. I decided to just go for it and see what comes out of the process. So far the experience has already meant that I’ve learnt some of the manufacturing methods that are used to make these figurines in factories; they are mass produced in a mould made just like the one I began making today. The technician Richard explained that you could see the outline of the two part mould they used on the shape; that’s the orange line we marked out and then I began moulding around with clay. The figure was then effectively in a bed of clay ready to pour on the first skin of silicone; the green stuff. The clay needed to be at a direct right angle to the line made on the figure; this required a lot of my patience as I scraped around the figure to level out the correct alignment of the clay. Once this task was done I poured a mix of silicone onto the figure leaving this to dry overnight to see what happens tomorrow!