Colour Tastes

I realised I had to bite the bullet in the end though, colours would reinforce that working class taste I’m after, as well as bring out the colours of the figurines. I wasn’t going to jump in there feet first though; I began making samples using the colours and wallpaper coverings. Mixing and matching the order of the different colours with different wallpaper styles really helped! – Even if it did get a little bit confusing. The colours worked well together but there was something not quite right about that yellow. Originally the yellow would be paired with the boarder, but using the samples I found that the boarder worked much better with the salmon pink. I tell you what though I’m glad I didn’t buy that ‘coffee’ colour- that definitely didn’t wasn’t nice!

Advertisements

Architectural Walls

Once I had the stuff it was time to get wallpapering! I immediately loved the wallpaper I used on the smaller plinth, it reminded me instantly of my grandma’s and it matches so well to the boarder and figurine. I could see it taking form now, matching up the colours to the embossed wallpaper felt like I was getting somewhere. I’ve scraped the next plinth free of it’s former wallpaper ready for a re-vamp tomorrow and I’ve got the colours ready to go! I decided to scrap the idea of a 4th plinth, I went to get the wood cut today but just before my decision I realised there is no real need for another one, it may just look cluttered. Although beforehand I felt it would look too much like my previous piece, when I shifted the plinths around it didn’t feel like that at all. I did get some other wood cut though! For the tops of the plinths. This has worked out fantastic! By placing an extra piece of wood on top it allows the paper to fold underneath it, by covering over this with wood it covers the mess and makes the plinth look incredibly neat. I’m really pleased with today’s progress. The plinths are beginning to become; “architectural walls.” – and interesting I almost see them as the formations of tower blocks.

John’s Decorating Centre

Having seen all the wallpapers Nottingham city centre had to offer I made the quick decision, following a Google search, to head on a bus to John’s Decorating Centre! What a good decision. Yesterday I was at a loss as to what wallpaper I wanted to use, and most importantly the colour choices that I knew were going to be essential for getting this piece right! And in the bargain bin at John’s I found them!

Big Decisions

Now for some really big decisions! I feel like I’ve been going round in circles with it all day! There is A LOT going on with the plinths, I admit that, but I’m struggling to decide whether I like it with more or less going on. The original plan was to paint, then wallpaper all 3 plinths, then subtlety rip a small amount of paper off each plinth. However as I gradually decorated each one I began to like the contrast of the bare magnolia plinth against the flush wallpaper and the ripped wallpaper plinth.  It was difficult to decide which complimented the ornament best, and it became upsettingly apparent that it seemed the ornaments weren’t so much needed any more; the 3 plinths work as a piece all by themselves. Having a wallpaper malfunction on the smallest plinth; meant I had to take the paper off prior to drying, this however left a rather nice imprint of the paste on the plinth- again something else to consider. With the 3 plinths all at different stages like this I really do think they work well together as a piece in their own right; however it’s still very important to me to use the ornaments at this moment in time. So for now I need to make a decision on how the plinths should look in order to compliment them. I think the right decision here is to continue with the subtle rip plan I originally began with- this way they will get the full attention they deserve yet the rips in the wallpaper will emphasise that the plinths are also crucial to the work.