Double Time

Choosing to place two figurines side by side on the plinth is a big risk for the work, I hope it will talk about the language of mass production these figurines speak. The plinth holds both the original and a plaster cast of the figurine. Cleverly I’ve also positioned the figurines so that at certain angles you can only see one of the figurines! This was a real exciting surprise for the work. The figurine in place compliments the colours used on the boarder too.

Advertisements

First Cast Made from the Mould

Here it is! The very first cast from the long awaited mould. Apart from that air bubble on her nose, I’m pretty pleased with it! I’ve used plaster to make the first cast of the figurine, although initially I was only planning to use this material to test out the mould, I’m beginning to see the potential of this material. The plaster is easy to re-sculpt soften the join of the two part mould (as you can see with the shaping of the hat) and also conceptually plaster seems an important material when capturing a memory. Solidifying a moment within the figurine.

Another Step Closer

Look what else is ready! The mould is complete and I was finally able to take the figurine out of the silicone. Everything looks great with the mould. You can see in the image looking downward into the empty space, this is where I will pour my material to then create a cast. The last image shows my first experimentation trying out a plaster cast of the figurine. Nervously excited for the outcome tomorrow!

Mould Finally Made

Finally finished the long awaited mould! Silicone eventually came back into the workshop and I was able to add the last two layers and complete my first two part mould! The first image on the left is the thicker silicone layer and the second is the plaster jacket used to hold the mould firm when making a cast. Next step is to choose the material I want to cast the long forgotten figurine in. I’m considering using a clear resin, so the figurine will look like solid clear plastic. I’m also thinking about using a coloured resin which I used way back in first year- the house below. The detail of the figurine I hope will be captured beautifully. I’ve also just start to think about casting the figurine in plaster to encourage the viewer to think about the fragility of our objects? All ideas to play with next week!

resin

Two Part Mould Making

The mould is coming along slowly but surely! Been going into the studio each day I can to add more layers, wait for that silicone to dry (a thicker silicone this time with thixotropic added to it) and then adding another layer. The next layer being the plaster jacket which is used to hold the mould firmly in place made whilst making casts later on. Yesterday after the plaster had dried, I then flipped the mould, removed the clay, cleaned the excess clay and began preparation for the 2nd half of the mould. Vaseline was applied to the silicone to avoid the moulds sticking to each other and then the first thin layer of silcone I mixed was poured onto the mould. So I’m getting there! And the good news is that I’ve got the go head for the big idea, the degree show big idea, including these casts so more motivation to crack on!

Casting Kitsch

Following my own advice, and the encouragement of Pil Kollectiv, I began work in the casting room today! I wasn’t feeling very productive at all this morning, I knew I needed to start casting but I didn’t have a clear purpose as to why and what I wanted to make. I decided to just go for it and see what comes out of the process. So far the experience has already meant that I’ve learnt some of the manufacturing methods that are used to make these figurines in factories; they are mass produced in a mould made just like the one I began making today. The technician Richard explained that you could see the outline of the two part mould they used on the shape; that’s the orange line we marked out and then I began moulding around with clay. The figure was then effectively in a bed of clay ready to pour on the first skin of silicone; the green stuff. The clay needed to be at a direct right angle to the line made on the figure; this required a lot of my patience as I scraped around the figure to level out the correct alignment of the clay. Once this task was done I poured a mix of silicone onto the figure leaving this to dry overnight to see what happens tomorrow!