My risky idea paid off! The one thing that really needed improving from last year’s post was it’s base. It was touch and go whether it would stand, so this year I needed a much more permanent solution. I’ve used plaster before in other art works so I know it’s a great firm holding agent. But would it work for this? The idea was to use the empty paint pot from the build, mix some plaster, then pour this into the pot surrounding the pole. I had no idea though how I was going to keep the post upright and straight overnight. After a long balancing act using protruding stones from the wall I began to pour in the mix of plaster. I left it there as I went to work fearing that when I returned it would no longer be upright! Yet in the morning as I removed it from the wall, I was so happy to find it had worked! The plaster had dried and it stood up proud and tall!
Here it is! The very first cast from the long awaited mould. Apart from that air bubble on her nose, I’m pretty pleased with it! I’ve used plaster to make the first cast of the figurine, although initially I was only planning to use this material to test out the mould, I’m beginning to see the potential of this material. The plaster is easy to re-sculpt soften the join of the two part mould (as you can see with the shaping of the hat) and also conceptually plaster seems an important material when capturing a memory. Solidifying a moment within the figurine.
Finally finished the long awaited mould! Silicone eventually came back into the workshop and I was able to add the last two layers and complete my first two part mould! The first image on the left is the thicker silicone layer and the second is the plaster jacket used to hold the mould firm when making a cast. Next step is to choose the material I want to cast the long forgotten figurine in. I’m considering using a clear resin, so the figurine will look like solid clear plastic. I’m also thinking about using a coloured resin which I used way back in first year- the house below. The detail of the figurine I hope will be captured beautifully. I’ve also just start to think about casting the figurine in plaster to encourage the viewer to think about the fragility of our objects? All ideas to play with next week!
I really got into this chipping away process at the plaster house. I began to chip away at the windows and doors creating this “house you can’t see into.” It stemmed from Alex Lowery’s paintings I spotted the other day. https://rachelfenwick.co.uk/2013/10/23/alex-lowery/
What I see in this piece is the privacy of our homes. When I unintentionally didn’t complete a painting back in 1st year I created a house without windows. With this plaster piece I’m commenting on the same notions I was touching on then- that when your house goes up for sale images become available on the internet of our private home- everyone can have a peak through your curtains! You can’t peak through any curtains here!
I wish I had something really special to post about on my 100th blog post, I don’t have anything majorly special unfortunately! But got to crack on with the Blogging! Would like to thank everyone who takes the time to read my crazy thoughts and my constant obsession with the home. Thank you!
So on Thursday actually got myself back in the studio! It was really good to get making again! Just trying a few things out and playing with a few ideas. I first decided to re-work a cast I made way back in 1st year, it’s a silicone mould used to make a plaster cast of a miniature house. I started playing around with the cast, chipping away at it. This chipping away meant a build up of plaster excess began to surround the house. This reminded me of Lara Almarcegui’s piece from the Venice Biennale. It really dealt with this idea of the fragility of our homes. The way the front steps just fell off like that. It also reminded of some photos I took the other day similar to Almarcegui’s work. The rumble, the fragility, “the past forever expunged from the present”. What I also like about making this piece was the making of the material- plaster. Got a real satisfaction creating the right consistency, it also has a massive relevance personally- as my dad is a plasterer. It’s a real important part when building a home. I think there might be something special here with my use of plaster. Rachel Whiteread is also a massive lover of the material too! Also wanted to mention (photo below) Matta Clark, an artist I found recently. Another great reference here.
It’s finished!! All my hard work has paid off! If your wondering what it’s all about, please read 2 posts below for the meaning behind it all. Sorry for all the photos, I got excited, you can really see my process of making though. All I need to do now is print and position the title on it. Any feedback is welcome, leave me a comment if you like.