Setting up at the Church

The plaster having just set, I took the black paint with me to paint the base on site. It was extremely tempting to leave the plaster exposed (as shown in the bottom right image) but as much I loved it, it did take away the focus from the signs themselves. So I carried on and left just a glimpse of exposed plaster. The base was even better than I’d hoped, providing a strong structure and hinted just slightly at the handmade post itself. Taking the post outside to finish the final touches, I assembled the railway crossing structure, then added another direction, highlighting our real life options, the crossroads which we face.

Making Begins

I’ve had fun over the last few days starting to make the piece! I’ve been foraging for wood on the camp site’s scrap yard, roping in help from Park Foot’s lovely customers- who have fantastic garden sheds by the way. Basically just trying to get the ideas  from out of my head and make them into the real deal. It started off a bit hopeless, but with a bit of help and patience I’m finally getting somewhere. Originally I found a square fencing post but I couldn’t rest till I found circular one so had another forage today- with success. I picked up some supplies from Penrith’s answer to Wilkos- The Yorkshire Trading Company and started painting- now just the slow process of waiting for gloss paint to dry!