Another Step Closer

Look what else is ready! The mould is complete and I was finally able to take the figurine out of the silicone. Everything looks great with the mould. You can see in the image looking downward into the empty space, this is where I will pour my material to then create a cast. The last image shows my first experimentation trying out a plaster cast of the figurine. Nervously excited for the outcome tomorrow!

Advertisements

Mould Finally Made

Finally finished the long awaited mould! Silicone eventually came back into the workshop and I was able to add the last two layers and complete my first two part mould! The first image on the left is the thicker silicone layer and the second is the plaster jacket used to hold the mould firm when making a cast. Next step is to choose the material I want to cast the long forgotten figurine in. I’m considering using a clear resin, so the figurine will look like solid clear plastic. I’m also thinking about using a coloured resin which I used way back in first year- the house below. The detail of the figurine I hope will be captured beautifully. I’ve also just start to think about casting the figurine in plaster to encourage the viewer to think about the fragility of our objects? All ideas to play with next week!

resin

Sandblasting

Back in the studio today after two weeks of non-stop writing! Excited to say that my essay is all done now and it’s the last one I ever have to write! I was all set to carry on working in the casting room, finally getting this mould finished! However this wasn’t to be the case as there was no silicone to put on my next layer! Not to be defeated I thought right what else can I do? A while ago one of the technicians had suggested I use the sandblaster to remove the magnolia paint on the figures. I’m running low on my figurines at the moment, as I got too excited by the magnolia process, so though yeah why not? And here’s the result! This is something I had wanted to do right at the beginning of this year, it’s as though I’ve erased their presence, their past and their history. They are no longer “silent witnesses to our most private and vulnerable moments.” They become so eerie without a face. You can see the difference the sand blaster can make to remove the magnolia. I like the half sand blasted effect, leaving some of the past behind. Once I’d fully removed the magnolia paint I then experimented dipping the figures into other colours- sort of resembling Katharina Fritsch’s 4th Plinth Sculpture.

Two Part Mould Making

The mould is coming along slowly but surely! Been going into the studio each day I can to add more layers, wait for that silicone to dry (a thicker silicone this time with thixotropic added to it) and then adding another layer. The next layer being the plaster jacket which is used to hold the mould firmly in place made whilst making casts later on. Yesterday after the plaster had dried, I then flipped the mould, removed the clay, cleaned the excess clay and began preparation for the 2nd half of the mould. Vaseline was applied to the silicone to avoid the moulds sticking to each other and then the first thin layer of silcone I mixed was poured onto the mould. So I’m getting there! And the good news is that I’ve got the go head for the big idea, the degree show big idea, including these casts so more motivation to crack on!

Casting Kitsch

Following my own advice, and the encouragement of Pil Kollectiv, I began work in the casting room today! I wasn’t feeling very productive at all this morning, I knew I needed to start casting but I didn’t have a clear purpose as to why and what I wanted to make. I decided to just go for it and see what comes out of the process. So far the experience has already meant that I’ve learnt some of the manufacturing methods that are used to make these figurines in factories; they are mass produced in a mould made just like the one I began making today. The technician Richard explained that you could see the outline of the two part mould they used on the shape; that’s the orange line we marked out and then I began moulding around with clay. The figure was then effectively in a bed of clay ready to pour on the first skin of silicone; the green stuff. The clay needed to be at a direct right angle to the line made on the figure; this required a lot of my patience as I scraped around the figure to level out the correct alignment of the clay. Once this task was done I poured a mix of silicone onto the figure leaving this to dry overnight to see what happens tomorrow!